RETIRED: The *Official* Giveaway Thread *Keep Off-Topic Chatter to Minimum*
If you require some information from the old thread, it is available for future reference, right here.
Please keep the side talk to a minimum.
This was originally a thread clothos1964 started to give away some free stuff that could be PM'd or mailed in a SASE, like codes or GC's or movie tickets or free product coupons.
There are now rules for the thread that are usually posted below. These rules are SD rules, as well as specific mod rules that may be updated or changed by them at any time and with additional rules added as they see fit, either posted here or in a regular post to the thread. These rules will be enforced by a mod if so desired, so please abide by them to keep the thread running smoothly with minimal trouble or arguments. Any complaints, suggestions, or questions about the thread should be addressed to a mod and not to me, as I merely started the thread but have no control over it's rules nor it's allowed content. Try to be generous, respectful, polite..... and have fun.
SPECIFIC MOD RULES:
* All SD Rules apply to this thread
* Do not offer Referrals/Payment for items.
* Do not send/request money for shipping costs. This includes PayPal to cover "shipping" costs.
* Please use the PM system for all giveaways. Don't clutter the boards with replies.
* Do not use reputation points as part of a trade/payment. That's not what the system is here for.
* Anyone found using a duplicate account in order to trade offers & boost post counts will be banned!
* Please keep the off topic chit chat to a minimum
* If any problems arise, use the Mod Alert function to bring it to our attention
Please obtain permission from the Moderators before posting a beneficial giveaway.
In the past, people have abused another persons goodwill. I have seen members lie about problems in order to get money, as well as coupons & free items. As a moderator, I am here to protect the members as best as I can. And I don't want to see anyone taken advantage of again.
This is for giving away free stuff that could be private messaged or mailed in a SASE (codes, GC's, movie tickets, free product coupons, etc). DO NOT request codes, coupons, etc.
I have to ask you all, do not send money to people because of trades. I know that some people may not be able to cover shipping costs, but this is for everyone's safety.
There have been some really deceptive people on SD in the past. They have voiced a sad situation in their lives, and the good natured people of SD have tried to help them. This included sending money. With much investigation, a lot of these people's stories turned out to be fake. They took advantage of the nice people here.
I do not wish that to happen in this thread. So do not send any money to people. I don't see anything wrong with SASE, but no cash, paypal, etc.
added: this is a friendly request from the mods and some of the users in this thread. please keep the 'bumpings' of your contest to a minimum. some are super long and then with the new names added throughout the day, it can double its size of the post making it a 'scrolling-chore', so to speak. the regulars in this thread check it all the time so it's not that they will be missing anything if you forego a 'contest bump'.
or here's another suggestion....just hyperlink back to the original post describing the contest. no need to quote/reply the actual post.
this is just a request to be courteous to other users who are on dial-up or have a slower connection.
System Notice: This thread has been automatically renewed after reaching a post limit. Most of its content has been moved to this thread for reference purposes.
May 19, 2008, 3:00 am: System Notice: This thread has been automatically renewed after reaching a post limit. Most of its content has been moved to this thread for reference purposes.
June 24, 2008, 3:10 am: System Notice: This thread has been automatically renewed after reaching a post limit. Most of its content has been moved to this thread for reference purposes.
August 26, 2008, 12:12 pm: System Notice: This thread has been automatically renewed after reaching a post limit. Most of its content has been moved to this thread for reference purposes.
November 26, 2008, 9:30 pm: System Notice: This thread has been automatically renewed after reaching a post limit. Most of its content has been moved to this thread for reference purposes.
January 14, 2009, 10:35 pm: System Notice: This thread has been automatically renewed after reaching a post limit. Most of its content has been moved to this thread for reference purposes.
April 7, 2009, 3:10 am: System Notice: This thread has been automatically renewed after reaching a post limit. Most of its content has been moved to this thread for reference purposes.
RBM=Redeemed By Me
Since the issue trying to cover shipping costs for larger items without sending money came up again (and probably will again and again ) I'm reposting the following info in the wiki... This way, it may be of more help
Quote from cnct_agl :Here's one more postage idea for you (and any other generous people caught in this dilemma). This uses USPS Priority Mail BTW.
• First, weigh the final box. (You can weigh it at the post office without actually mailing it). You might consider putting the weight right in your giveaway post so that entrants can estimate the postage cost before deciding to enter.
• Go to USPS.com and use the weight, your zip code, and the winner's zip code to see if's cheaper to use a flat-rate Priority box or just send it Priority (sometimes the flat rate is actually more than regular Priority).
• Then, email the winner with the weight, your address, the zip code of the post office that you will be mailing it from, and whether or not you are using a flat-rate box.
• The winner can go to USPS.com to print a shipping label and use the information that you provided to purchase a prepaid Priority mailing label with a credit card.
• BTW: When you buy the label online, Delivery Confirmation is FREE with Priority Mail
• The winner can then print and send you the prepaid label.
[NOTE from SweetestDeals: If you have the software to do it (there are plenty of free programs--send me a PM for recommendations), you can print the label to a PDF file and just email it to the person. It's a lot faster than sending it via snail mail.]
• The label can only be used to mail an item to and from the address that the winner specifies. (i.e. It cannot be redeemed for cash by you).Ta-da, problem solved! *cnct_agl takes a bow*
Quote from Aeris :PayPal shipping is usually available when you sell something on Ebay, but I found the link on Slickdeals where you can just go to this address and print the labels without having to sell anything on Ebay. This way I can save time and money to go to post office and mail all my packages from home.
Here's the address: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin...=_ship-now
Just a suggestion for those of you who are giving away any type of code (soda cap, ringtone, MP3, movie pass, etc.):
If there are details or instructions put those in your post, but put the actual code somewhere in your PROFILE. This keeps lurkers from redeeming the code(s) before an SD'er can because only a registered member can view someone's profile.
This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.
Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.