If you have a laptop, modern PDA, or even an advanced cell phone, chances are there is great GPS software for your device that can interface with many Bluetooth GPS receivers. GPS can be used for driving directions, Geo-caching, logging pictures, and creating great custom travel maps that can be overlaid on Google Maps. Now, so many GPS receivers are so cheap, why not get one.
In celebration of my 300th post, I thought I'd post a deal about one of my favorite hobbies.
There are still many differences within the current generation of GPS receivers, but there is one thing to keep in mind. The quality, size, sensitivity, and battery lives of any of these receivers are vastly superior to the best receivers of only a couple short years ago. The two main chipsets in use are Sirf III and MTK. There is a lot of dispute right now as to which is the superior technology, but both are highly sensitive (you can usually just leave the device in your pocket while traveling around, and they often work inside of building and in tall cities). MTK does seem to have a superior battery life (15-25 hours), but Sirf III is still a great alternative. For some size-perspective, the biggest of these is smaller than an unsheathed pager. On average, they're about 2/3 the size of a pack of playing cards
Here are many to choose from for under $50:
All of these receivers come with mounts and chargers. Please let me know if there is a problem with the promo code on any of these so I can update the post.
GlobalSat BT 328 SiRF GSC2 High Performance Bluetooth GPS(Your Choice of Free Mount)- $29.99 - $3 (Promo Code AX10) = $27 + Shipping
- New SiRF GSC2 high performance and low power consumption chipset
- Communication with Host Platform via Bluetooth Serial Profile
- Built-in ceramic patch antenna
- Support NMEA0183 data protocol
- 3 LED to show the status of GPS/Bluetooth/Battery
- Rechargeable Li-ion battery
- Operation time: 16 hours, in continuous mode
- Auto power-off, if Bluetooth is not connected to any devices within 10 minutes
- Bluetooth operation range: 10
- The patented Smart Power Save and Auto On/Off technology offers 25 hours battery life on one single charge.
- Great Performance - i-Blue 737 Bluetooth GPS receiver is equipped with the new 32 channels MTK chipset which offers ultra high sensitivity at -158dBm (tracking) and lower power consumption at 42mA.
- Auto On/Off - When you use i-Blue 737 for the first time, just power up and place the receiver under the windshield in car. Anytime when a paired PDA or laptop computer with Bluetooth connectivity is onboard, i-Blue will wake up on Bluetooth for your navigating usage. When Bluetooth signal is not present, i-Blue will go into sleeping mode automatically (Slow blinking blue LED).
- Best Accuracy - i-Blue 737 supports DGPS (RTCM protocol, WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS) for great accuracy at 2.5
- 32 parallel satellite-tracking channels for fast acquisition and reacquisition.
- Superior sensitivity up to -159 dBm.
- Built-in WAAS/EGNOS Demodulator without any additional hardware. Or use the high-sensitive software to get the fast acquisition and reacquisition in the urban, canyon and foliage environments.
- Compatible with Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP) completely.
- Low power consumption. Built-in rechargeable and changeable Lithium-ion battery, the working time can last 23 hours maximum.
- QSTARZ BT Q816 32 Chanel Bluetooth GPS Receiver adopts MTK chipset with high sensitivity to -158dBm (Static Navigation is turned OFF, hence suitable for both walking and car navigation)
- Qstarz Q816 has to 25hrs operating time for GPS navigation
- 32-Channel all-in-view tracking for fast acquisition and reacquisition
- Fast Position Fix ,Cold start 36s, Warn start 33s, Hot start 1second.
- Support WAAS / EGNOS
- High Sensitivity, -158dBm(Tracking)
- Built in MTK MT3318 Low power consumption GPS chipset. (Static Navigation is turned OFF, hence suitable for both walking and car navigation)
- 51 channel all in view tracking, supported WAAS and EGNOS
- Fast Position Fix, Cold start <36s, Hot start <1s
- Superior Urban Canyon Performance
- SiRF Star III high receiving sensitivity and fast position fix GPS chipset.
- Superior receiving sensitivity for urban canyon and foliage environment.
- Bluetooth interface connection for host system without annoyed cable.
- Wide range Bluetooth operating distance up to 10 meters in maximum.