Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://archive.slickdeals.net/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://archive.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   HTC HD2 $99 at Walmart Letstalk.com w/new 2yr contract (http://archive.slickdeals.net/f/1936644-htc-hd2-99-at-walmart-letstalk-com-w-new-2yr-contract)

gifter 03-24-2010 08:13 AM

HTC HD2 $99 at Walmart Letstalk.com w/new 2yr contract

HTC HD2 superphone $99 with new 2-year contract:

http://wsf0-walmart.letstalk.com/...corpId=686

Edit: Yeah I saw the Wirefly deal, but some people have been burned by Wirefly (including me, and I refuse to do business with them). In my case, I can't use neither of these deals, since I am an existing customer (and grandfathered on a cheap plan). But here are the reasons I am going to get this phone (directly from T-mobile), even though I am dying for an android superphone:

1. Two words: Early Upgrade. T-mobile gives you a full upgrade discount after only one year into your two-year contract. So by this time next year, this year's android superphones will beold hat and the next best thing will be here.

2. As some posters mentioned, xda-developers.com will likely have a Windows Phone 7 or android ROM for this phone sooner or later. That's where I got the android 2.1 ROM I am running on my G1.

wikipost 03-24-2010 08:13 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

1 Attachment(s)
Seems like Amazon matched the price $99 on Amazon right now [j.mp]

littlebuddha 03-24-2010 08:25 AM

would it be possible to buy it and cancel within first month- what is the etf?

MaMMiTs 03-24-2010 08:26 AM

A slick deal for a just released phone other stores have for $199 with the same 2-year agreement.

TU OP!

kits 03-24-2010 08:30 AM

same price at wirefly. Use BCB and you save another $50 at wirefly.com bringing HD2 to $49.99

littlebuddha 03-24-2010 08:44 AM

but wirefly has a 200etf in addition to tmobile 200. from what im reading as long as we cancel through lets talk there is no extra etf. - edit- seems you have to return the equipment..

MaMMiTs 03-24-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebuddha (Post 28522514)
would it be possible to buy it and cancel within first month- what is the etf?

$319.98 + tax total (save $230+!) =-P.

phone: $49.99 (via WireFly with BCB)
Least expensive calling plan: $39.99/month
required data plan: $30/month
Early Termination Fee: $200
Total: $319.98 plus taxes

From T-Moble.com:
Service Cancellation. Month-To-Month Plan. You can keep your account active by paying for Monthly Services, adding Prepaid Refill dollars to your FlexAccount, or by using your FlexAccount for services, at least once every 90 days. Otherwise, your account will be cancelled. Contract Plan. If you have a one or two-year contract Term, you must pay in advance for Monthly Services, each month, for the total number of months in your Term (12 or 24 months) for all lines on your account. All lines on the account will be cancelled unless payment for Monthly Services is received and your Monthly Services (prorated or otherwise) are activated at least once every forty-five days after the due date listed in your payment reminder. This cancellation policy applies both during and after your contract Term. A $200 per line early termination fee applies if service is cancelled during your one or two-year contract Term. All Plans: You agree that we may apply any balance in your FlexAccount to any amounts you owe us (including any early termination fees) at the time of service cancellation. Any remaining unused FlexAccount or other balance will be refunded to you according to T-Mobile’s Terms and Conditions.

docnas 03-24-2010 08:56 AM

From Lets Talk :

Service Plan Cancellation
When you select a service plan in your order, LetsTalk, Inc. initiates the contractual agreement between you and the service provider and activates the equipment for you with that service provider. Once you receive your activated equipment(s) from us, you must contact the service provider(s) directly if you wish to change or cancel your service plan. LetsTalk, Inc. cannot cancel your service for you. Usage and other fees may be charged by the service provider. If you cancel your service plan, please contact our customer service department to return the equipment. Otherwise, LetsTalk, Inc. may charge you an equipment subsidy recovery fee.
:(

Nomar7 03-24-2010 09:09 AM

So Wirefly won't take away your phone?

WoWa 03-24-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kits (Post 28522694)
same price at wirefly. Use BCB and you save another $50 at wirefly.com bringing HD2 to $49.99

how did you find wirefly?

never mind, saw the banner.

TechiMan 03-24-2010 11:35 AM

Did anyone tried to get HTC HD2 using BOGO offer from any store...like walmart???

lzyathlte 03-24-2010 12:32 PM

$200 for those who wish to renew a 2yr contract. bummer

itstherobotdevi 03-24-2010 12:38 PM

Who are we letting stalk?

GIRay 03-24-2010 12:41 PM

HTC has tried the 4.3-inch format before with the HTC HD2, but that phone loses points for running the soon-to-be outdated Windows Mobile 6.5. Sprints promise of downloading, watching and editing high definition content on the Sprint EVO 4G makes the large screen even more enticing.

lzyathlte 03-24-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIRay (Post 28531352)
HTC has tried the 4.3-inch format before with the HTC HD2, but that phone loses points for running the soon-to-be outdated Windows Mobile 6.5. Sprints promise of downloading, watching and editing high definition content on the Sprint EVO 4G makes the large screen even more enticing.

yea, it kinda sucks that the phone won't be compatible either to upgrade to the new windows 7 mobile OS.

it took them too long to release this phone. before it was even available, it was already becoming obsolete.

the new sprint phone might be newer, but the network isn't necessarily better, especially with tmobiles new rollout of 21mpbs wireless speeds.

sepponearth 03-24-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIRay (Post 28531352)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lzyathlte (Post 28531694)
yea, it kinda sucks that the phone won't be compatible either to upgrade to the new windows 7 mobile OS.

it took them too long to release this phone. before it was even available, it was already becoming obsolete.

the new sprint phone might be newer, but the network isn't necessarily better, especially with tmobiles new rollout of 21mpbs wireless speeds.

Come on guys, do you really think XDA won't have a WP7 ROM out 3 days after it gets released? :)

BB88 03-24-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sepponearth (Post 28532590)
Come on guys, do you really think XDA won't have a WP7 ROM out 3 days after it gets released? :)

No, I bet it's going to be 2 days :bounce:

abe786 03-24-2010 01:36 PM

Actually there are many limitations with WP7, guys @xda are debating whether WM6.5 is last good Windows Mobile version

BB88 03-24-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abe786 (Post 28533224)
Actually there are many limitations with WP7, guys @xda are debating whether WM6.5 is last good Windows Mobile version

It's still in early stage so it's hard to say. But then I am already using ThrottleLauncher to simulate WP7.
http://www.xda-developers.com/win...ncher-1-0/

Chriss29 03-24-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abe786 (Post 28533224)

You are right !! Windows 7 will have a ton of limitations as to what it will allow you to install on the device,,, similar to the Apple iphone... I will delay "upgrading" for as long as possible...

Not to mention it's incompatible with any apps bought for the previous Windows Mobile versions....

Jordus 03-24-2010 02:47 PM

No point in the HD2 considering the Sprint EVO 4G is coming out soon.

Tmobile *may* have a decently fast network in some areas, but it doesnt seem to be very available. ITs not available where I live, and its a rather sizeable city.

bjsguess 03-24-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordus (Post 28535384)
No point in the HD2 considering the Sprint EVO 4G is coming out soon.

Tmobile *may* have a decently fast network in some areas, but it doesnt seem to be very available. ITs not available where I live, and its a rather sizeable city.

1. 4G for Sprint is worthless for about 95% of Sprint customers. Over time it will have a bigger footprint but right now almost everyone is stuck with 3G.

2. EVO is Android. Not the same platform. Some of us don't want Android.

3. This is still a killer phone for T-Mobile. You'll be able to run Android on it, WinMo 6.5 and by Christmas, Windows 7 (thanks to the geniuses over at XDA).

tlerner 03-24-2010 03:46 PM

LetsTalk.com is HORRIBLE. Just look at the reviews: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Let_s_Talk

And personal experience with them makes me want to firebomb their customer service and shipping departments!

zragnarok 03-24-2010 03:54 PM

wanted the HD2 but the new Evo on Sprint just made me forget the HD2

GIRay 03-24-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjsguess (Post 28535518)
1. 4G for Sprint is worthless for about 95% of Sprint customers. Over time it will have a bigger footprint but right now almost everyone is stuck with 3G.

2. EVO is Android. Not the same platform. Some of us don't want Android.

3. This is still a killer phone for T-Mobile. You'll be able to run Android on it, WinMo 6.5 and by Christmas, Windows 7 (thanks to the geniuses over at XDA).

I don't understand why people still using window mobile. I remember window mobile and Palm pilot were so popular back in year 2000. Do you guys still use stylus to poke the screen. I can hardly hit the X because I have big fingers.

popyu 03-24-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zragnarok (Post 28537354)

Sprint's "exceptional" customer service will make you forget about Evo pretty quickly.

:lmao:

GIRay 03-24-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zragnarok (Post 28537354)

me too. I might give up my cheapy sero plan to get the EVO 4G. :cool:

Jordus 03-24-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popyu (Post 28537602)
Sprint's "exceptional" customer service will make you forget about Evo pretty quickly.

:lmao:

I've had sprint for 8 years, and while their CS blew back in the day, its actually been really good for the last 2ish years.

Its not the same company it once was.

rebelx 03-24-2010 04:15 PM

WinMo has and does everything I need it to (with a fair bit of tweaking). I'd opt for the HD2 as long as it was running 6.5 and not 7 (too many app restrictions) instead of the Evo on Android.

GIRay 03-24-2010 04:25 PM

T-Mobile debuted the HTC HD2 on Wednesday, which is the first phone to feature Blockbuster's on demand movie service. But Blockbuster is 'bleeding to death' according to CNN.

redking 03-24-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIRay (Post 28537556)
I don't understand why people still using window mobile. I remember window mobile and Palm pilot were so popular back in year 2000. Do you guys still use stylus to poke the screen. I can hardly hit the X because I have big fingers.

Yes, I still use a stylus. :woot:

I have a HTC Magician but I'm waiting for good deals on the HTC HD mini.

starcaptor 03-24-2010 04:43 PM

I know in order to even get windows 7, there are certain hardware requirements, such as no external memory, 5 megapixel camera, and a specific set of screen sizes. I dont know if these are technical requirements, or just branding ones (like Centrino).

Alas, I cant COUNT on roms and kitchens to dictate my purchase of a system, since the support is free, you cant count on it to be there forever. The moment something newer and better comes out (Windows 7 phones themselves most likely), support for old models disappears utterly. I know this cause its happened with my treo 700wx, then the mogul, then the touch pro, and likely soon the tp2. There only seems to be work on the latest and greatest.

I will likely stick to my two phones (treo pro, tp2) while I am paying $23 a month for SERO. I honestly get everything I want from winmo 6.5. I get to the features I want in the OS without even thinking, I can tether, texting is easy, etc. People call Windows mobile antiquated, but then again, a lot of POS systems still use 386 processors and DOS, and it jets the job done. Not even done with suffering, but done quite well.

o0adam0o 03-24-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB88 (Post 28532958)
No, I bet it's going to be 2 days :bounce:

Yep.. stuff tends to leak ;)

mrbuyit 03-24-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docnas (Post 28523550)
From Lets Talk :

Service Plan Cancellation
When you select a service plan in your order, LetsTalk, Inc. initiates the contractual agreement between you and the service provider and activates the equipment for you with that service provider. Once you receive your activated equipment(s) from us, you must contact the service provider(s) directly if you wish to change or cancel your service plan. LetsTalk, Inc. cannot cancel your service for you. Usage and other fees may be charged by the service provider. If you cancel your service plan, please contact our customer service department to return the equipment. Otherwise, LetsTalk, Inc. may charge you an equipment subsidy recovery fee.
:(

Would I get charged extra fees if I decide to remove my data plan? I will still keep the phone and maintain my service, just don't need $30 extra fees tacked-on every months. I know Wirefly will requires no changes be made within first 6 months. Anything similar with LetsTalk?

holob 03-24-2010 06:44 PM

You guys really think they will have a WM7 rom over that fast? I highly doubt it.

WM7 is a completely new OS.

WM6 drivers do not function on WM7 at all....

They have not even successfully loaded android on these devices with all features working (GPS for one). It will be ages before WM7 gets fully ported over (if it ever does) in a fully functioning manner.

AngstNIcecream 03-24-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redking (Post 28538088)
Yes, I still use a stylus. :woot:

I have a HTC Magician but I'm waiting for good deals on the HTC HD mini.

I still use my stylus too. I use it to cross out items on the shopping lists I make! :woot:

BTW, my emoticon is high fiving yours.

leecm 03-24-2010 07:04 PM

This phone looks awesome. Probably the only phone right now that I'd even consider giving my iphone 3gs up for. If I got an unlocked version, it wouldn't be compatible with all of the 3G bands AT&T supports, correct?

hththt 03-24-2010 07:15 PM

do you guys know whether this has the 850 band for 3G? In the description it says 850/1900 for 3G but I doubt it because T-Mo uses 1700 for their 3G. Thinking of getting this for AT&T (if it DOES have the 850 3G) instead of the Aus HD2 9193 every one is going nuts about.

kitefisher 03-24-2010 07:57 PM

Be careful with letstalk.com. If you have to return the phone, the carrier will still charge you even if you return the phone right away without using any minute. Letstalk will not help you at all. They will ask you to deal directly with the carrier. AVOID letstalk at all cost unless you are 100% sure that you will keep the phone and service.

RideMyPwny 03-24-2010 08:18 PM

Too bad that the HD2 has been hyped so long but never released. Now that there are about 5 more phones that have the same specs as it, Windows Phone 7, and the HTC EVO 4G coming out soon, there's really no point in getting this. Unless you really (REALLY) like Windows Mobile 6.5.

FAMEDASH 03-24-2010 08:21 PM

just wait for the htc evo.

gifter 03-24-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RideMyPwny (Post 28544452)
Too bad that the HD2 has been hyped so long but never released. Now that there are about 5 more phones that have the same specs as it, Windows Phone 7, and the HTC EVO 4G coming out soon, there's really no point in getting this. Unless you really (REALLY) like Windows Mobile 6.5.

Or unless you want to stay/move to T-mobile. Tmo has the cheapest plans, offers full phone upgrades after only one year and is boosting it's HSPA+ 3G to be the fastest of the major 4 carriers (faster than Sprint Wimax) as we speak.

ivesceneenough 03-24-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holob (Post 28541530)
You guys really think they will have a WM7 rom over that fast? I highly doubt it.

WM7 is a completely new OS.

WM6 drivers do not function on WM7 at all....

They have not even successfully loaded android on these devices with all features working (GPS for one). It will be ages before WM7 gets fully ported over (if it ever does) in a fully functioning manner.

its a coin toss. either way 6.5 is going to go away, so if they can't cook a good ROM, its a really boring phone.

evo 4g on the other hand..... :drool::drool::drool:

TechiMan 03-25-2010 06:45 AM

Amazon have the same price

Brooklynite 03-25-2010 11:34 AM

Amazon [j.mp] just matched the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivesceneenough (Post 28548318)
its a coin toss. either way 6.5 is going to go away, so if they can't cook a good ROM, its a really boring phone.

evo 4g on the other hand..... :drool::drool::drool:

WM7 is unfortunately a completely new OS which means its junk like iPhone, no SD card slots, no open apps, tons of limitations on programming like Android and iPhone OS which means TONS of junk apps like tip calculators and nothing good like a PDF reader or Skype with voice or excel or POP3 email etc. No power things anymore like Windows Mobile 6.5

Brooklynite 03-25-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gifter (Post 28544880)
Or unless you want to stay/move to T-mobile. Tmo has the cheapest plans, offers full phone upgrades after only one year and is boosting it's HSPA+ 3G to be the fastest of the major 4 carriers (faster than Sprint Wimax) as we speak.

In my area, downtown Los Angeles the 3G service from TMobile is around 150k/s and AT&T is around 1000k/s so the difference is HUGE. Just so you can compare the good old dial up was 52k (named 56k) and average cable is around 5000k/s (all speeds based on speedtest.net and I performed them myself).

gifter 03-25-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklynite (Post 28560852)
In my area, downtown Los Angeles the 3G service from TMobile is around 150k/s and AT&T is around 1000k/s so the difference is HUGE. Just so you can compare the good old dial up was 52k (named 56k) and average cable is around 5000k/s (all speeds based on speedtest.net and I performed them myself).

OK. Was that recent? Because over the last few months, Tmo upgraded to HSPA 7 and they have now started upgrading to HSPA+, which will be the fastes,t until the other 3 major carriers catch up next year.

In Austin, I use my Tmo android phone as a wifi hotspot for my laptop and it is faster than the wifi in my house (wireless G router, on Time Warner/Roadrunner Standard).

hththt 03-26-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gifter (Post 28575938)
OK. Was that recent? Because over the last few months, Tmo upgraded to HSPA 7 and they have now started upgrading to HSPA+, which will be the fastes,t until the other 3 major carriers catch up next year.

In Austin, I use my Tmo android phone as a wifi hotspot for my laptop and it is faster than the wifi in my house (wireless G router, on Time Warner/Roadrunner Standard).

that is until you try to video conference or anything that is latency-critical. My 3G is faster than my current DSL plan too but the ping is terrible. ~100ms vs 5ms for a server that is <50miles away

tete02 03-26-2010 11:13 AM

If i have two lines in a family plan, and one of those lines in out of contract. can i add a new line and get this phone for $99 and cancel my OOC line? I called them and they said i cant do that, I think its BS.

gifter 03-26-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tete02 (Post 28592098)
If i have two lines in a family plan, and one of those lines in out of contract. can i add a new line and get this phone for $99 and cancel my OOC line? I called them and they said i cant do that, I think its BS.

Yes, I have done that before.
1. You get a totally new contract, say at Amazon
2. Immediately when the phone arrives, activate it.
3. Immediately after that, you call Tmobile and ask them to merge that new contract into your existing contract (may take a couple of calls, not all CSRs know how to do that).
4. Once the new line is in your old contract, ask Tmobile to transfer your old OOC phone number to the new line and cancel the old line.

The result is your old two-line contract with your existing phone numbers, and you got a good price.

jessesam 03-26-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gifter (Post 28600776)
Yes, I have done that before.
1. You get a totally new contract, say at Amazon
2. Immediately when the phone arrives, activate it.
3. Immediately after that, you call Tmobile and ask them to merge that new contract into your existing contract (may take a couple of calls, not all CSRs know how to do that).
4. Once the new line is in your old contract, ask Tmobile to transfer your old OOC phone number to the new line and cancel the old line.

The result is your old two-line contract with your existing phone numbers, and you got a good price.

If I do like that is Amazon goona charge me for merging lines and will it be a new family plan through amazon or the the old contract on both phones (extended by 2 years) ?

gifter 03-26-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessesam (Post 28601110)
If I do like that is Amazon goona charge me for merging lines and will it be a new family plan through amazon or the the old contract on both phones (extended by 2 years) ?

When I did this a year ago (I am about to find out if it still works), Amazon signed me up as a new individual (not family) account/2-yr contract, as if I did not already have a contract with Tmobile..

Then I called Tmobile as I described above. They cancelled the new individual plan and added the new line to my existing family account. The new line, of course, still had a 2-yr contract on it (but not the other lines on the family plan).

jessesam 03-26-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gifter (Post 28602984)
When I did this a year ago (I am about to find out if it still works), Amazon signed me up as a new individual (not family) account/2-yr contract, as if I did not already have a contract with Tmobile..

Then I called Tmobile as I described above. They cancelled the new individual plan and added the new line to my existing family account. The new line, of course, still had a 2-yr contract on it (but not the other lines on the family plan).

I guess u didn't pay any ETF, if I can do this way this is more cheaper and I hope tmobile can do this for me (need to confirm) . Anyway thanks for the great info

jessesam 03-26-2010 11:07 PM

when I researched online I found out that we have to maintain the new line of service through Amazon with the selected rate plan in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days, after that we can move it to another account. Otherwise they will charge 250 dollars in equipment recovery cost, is that true ?

GIRay 03-27-2010 02:33 AM

HTC HD2 launches on T-Mobile USA as Sprint EVO points, laughs!

HD2. Now available on T-Mobile several months after making its European debut, it arrives less than 24 hours after the 4G Sprint EVO was announced for a summer release, and a week after we received confirmation that it won't be upgradeable to Windows Phone 7 OS when devices start landing later in the year.

Our advice: wait a few months and snap up the glorious hardware for pennies and then install your favorite cooked ROM.

jessesam 03-27-2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIRay (Post 28611112)
HTC HD2 launches on T-Mobile USA as Sprint EVO points, laughs!

HD2. Now available on T-Mobile several months after making its European debut, it arrives less than 24 hours after the 4G Sprint EVO was announced for a summer release, and a week after we received confirmation that it won't be upgradeable to Windows Phone 7 OS when devices start landing later in the year.

Our advice: wait a few months and snap up the glorious hardware for pennies and then install your favorite cooked ROM.

I think its gonna be at least a year for sprint to get 4G in all the areas and they are goona charge high rate for 4g network plus at least 400 $ for the device . I guess in the mean time HTC HD 2 will the best option.

ivesceneenough 03-27-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklynite (Post 28560742)
Amazon [j.mp] just matched the price.

WM7 is unfortunately a completely new OS which means its junk like iPhone, no SD card slots, no open apps, tons of limitations on programming like Android and iPhone OS which means TONS of junk apps like tip calculators and nothing good like a PDF reader or Skype with voice or excel or POP3 email etc. No power things anymore like Windows Mobile 6.5

http://andpdf.sourceforge.net/

http://www.dataviz.com/products/d...o/android/

http://www.talkandroid.com/guides...ail-setup/

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/android/

seems like android has all of those already.

old winmo was junk. it was a huge pain to use. it did have some power features, but really, its for the best that they are putting it down.