Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://archive.slickdeals.net/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://archive.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Netgear WNR3500 Draft RangeMax Premium Wireless-N Gigabit Router (refurbished) $33 Shipped (http://archive.slickdeals.net/f/2202520-netgear-wnr3500-draft-rangemax-premium-wireless-n-gigabit-router-refurbished-33-shipped)

yuugotserved 08-27-2010 03:30 AM

Netgear WNR3500 Draft RangeMax Premium Wireless-N Gigabit Router (refurbished) $33 Shipped

Newegg

Netgear WNR3500 Draft RangeMax Premium Wireless-N Gigabit Router (refurbished) [newegg.com]

Enter code EMCYWNV57 at checkout

= $30 + $3 S/H

sarcasmo 08-27-2010 05:26 AM

Not to be confused with the WNR3500L-100NAS that has a USB port (and more RAM and Flash memory). Pretty sure they both suport DD-WRT but only the 3500L supports Tomato (but don't quote me on this!..waiting for someone more educated to reply...). Still a solid router and price.

Lint42 08-27-2010 05:37 AM

I searched on the dd-wrt site and could only find the 3500L, but reviews on newegg say that v2 supports dd-wrt and v1 doesn't. I'm looking for two N routers that I can put dd-wrt on to make a wireless bridge so I can stream 1080p to my ps3. I think because I have some G devices too that I'm gonna have to go with a more expensive set of routers.

sarcasmo 08-27-2010 05:51 AM

Yeah, looks like only v2 is supported. Might be taking a chance that they send you v2 and not v1.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index....es#Netgear
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/view...light=3500

frukyy 08-27-2010 07:09 AM

Good price indeed.
Recertified isn't always reliable, in fact most of the time it is a device that someone returned for malfunction.
And beaware of return/exchange/warranty, usually they are more limited.

korea 08-27-2010 07:30 AM

I bit on this price. Hopefully the recert works out... got burned by an amazon refurb wrt160n. never again, linksys, never again.

rs3 08-27-2010 08:29 AM

In for 1. Thx .. repped

Piccirello 08-27-2010 08:43 AM

Thinking about picking one up for my wireless N devices, and then connecting my wireless G router to an open port on the N router. Would this be possible?

Edit: I went ahead and ordered it. Should be a nice bump up to Gigabit LAN and Wireless N for streaming HD movies to my Seagate Freeagent Theater+.

ljviss 08-27-2010 10:07 AM

any way you can be sure you get Ver 2.0 of this router?

Magic_Jack 08-27-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tompic823 (Post 32096606)
Thinking about picking one up for my wireless N devices, and then connecting my wireless G router to an open port on the N router. Would this be possible?

Edit: I went ahead and ordered it. Should be a nice bump up to Gigabit LAN and Wireless N for streaming HD movies to my Seagate Freeagent Theater+.

yes it is. this is how i currently have my routers set up. you have to go in and change some of the settings on the g router to get it to work, (i think you turn off the auto DHCP, sorry, its been awhile) but after that it works great. (for me at least).
hope that helps.

Piccirello 08-27-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazyjack (Post 32100048)
yes it is. this is how i currently have my routers set up. you have to go in and change some of the settings on the g router to get it to work, (i think you turn off the auto DHCP, sorry, its been awhile) but after that it works great. (for me at least).
hope that helps.

Sweet. Thanks for the tip!

ovel2clock 08-27-2010 07:46 PM

I'd like to get this since it's both N and gigabit wired, but since it's a crap shoot as to what version you get, I'm going to pass. Good deal tho.

rejctchoir 08-27-2010 08:19 PM

I bought this last time around. I got the NON-DD-Wrt version. So you are taking a huge risk if that is what you are looking for.

The router itself performed fine, but I ended up switching it out for a WRT160N that could run DD-WRT because I just missed the features and couldn't utilize the gigabit

HunkaBurninLove 08-27-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazyjack (Post 32100048)
hope that helps.

I did a similar thing by following the steps here [smallnetbuilder.com]

TheGOG 08-28-2010 05:45 AM

what is the advantage of having a gigabit router?

Piccirello 08-28-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGOG (Post 32117990)
what is the advantage of having a gigabit router?

Much faster transfer speeds between computers hooked up to this with Gigabit NICs. It won't result in faster internet speeds, but transferring a file over the network will be a hell of a lot faster.

couponboy69 08-28-2010 10:03 AM

will this work in conjunction with my AT&T DSL speedstream non wireless modem.

Magic_Jack 08-28-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunkaBurninLove (Post 32115912)
I did a similar thing by following the steps here [smallnetbuilder.com]

Thanks for the link! This looks very familiar, I think this is the exact page I used.
I have a security question if anyone knows. By having this router connected to the N router, will people that have access to that G router be able to access anything running through that N router?
Not sure I'm being very clear, but I hope you get the gist of what im asking.
tia.

HunkaBurninLove 08-28-2010 02:43 PM

You're welcome. I had to read a few articles on that site but he does a good job explaining what to do.

Quote:

I have a security question if anyone knows. By having this router connected to the N router, will people that have access to that G router be able to access anything running through that N router?
Not sure I'm being very clear, but I hope you get the gist of what im asking.
I'm not a network person, but couldn't you give your "G" router network a different SSID name than your "N" router? Again, someone else can better answer this question.

Magic_Jack 08-28-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunkaBurninLove (Post 32126028)
You're welcome. I had to read a few articles on that site but he does a good job explaining what to do.

I'm not a network person, but couldn't you give your "G" router network a different SSID name than your "N" router? Again, someone else can better answer this question.

They have different SSID and passwords associated to each. Just paranoid that if someone with access to the G router is able to see any networked computers running on the N since it is hardwired to the device. Prob not, but never hurts to double check.

Piccirello 08-30-2010 10:07 AM

UPS just delivered the router and I can confirm that I received V2, the version compatible with DD-WRT.

Edit: I installed DD-WRT on this thing. HUGE mistake. I can't stand the super unintuitive interface and want to reinstall the original Netgear Firmware. Unfortunately, the idiotic developers didn't include a downgrade function, and I can''t figure out how to downgrade. If anyone could offer any help at all, please do.

Edit 2: Was finally able to remove DD-WRT and reinstall the Netgear Firmware. The key to my issue was not using "root" as the username when connecting to the router through telnet.

JamManXC 08-30-2010 03:08 PM

got v2 as well.. thanks!

mhd114 08-30-2010 03:54 PM

In for 1; got a V2 today. Didn't come with a CD installer. But I worked around and got it to work

silvia240 08-30-2010 05:23 PM

How is the range for this router?

Joey82083 08-30-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

This promo code EMCYWNV57 you entered is only available for specific programs.
Anyone else having luck with promo code today?

Piccirello 08-30-2010 08:19 PM

I'm really starting to think this wasn't worth the money and might return it. My WPN824v2 instantly connects to the internet when connected to my modem and set to auto-obtain all IP, gateway, etc. The WNR3500v2 will not connect to the internet, regardless of whether I give it a static IP or if it's set to auto-obtain. Is anyone else having similar issues?

rd93140 08-31-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey82083 (Post 32173858)
Anyone else having luck with promo code today?

I used it yesterday and it worked fine for me.
Waiting for delivery right now.

Update: Just received it and it's a V1 version :(. Going to request an exchange.

ljviss 08-31-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd93140 (Post 32188429)

Update: Just received it and it's a V1 version :(. Going to request an exchange.

what's the advantage of having V2 vs. V1?

Piccirello 08-31-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljviss (Post 32198371)
what's the advantage of having V2 vs. V1?

The main two differences are that v2 supports DD-WRT and no longer has the annoying blue LED's.

ctz 08-31-2010 07:02 PM

Got a V1 today :(:(
Now it is sold out on newegg.
Not sure if they would do a replacement for me.

It has only 3 stars review on Amazon..

Should get ASUS N12 though :(

kwadguy 08-31-2010 07:15 PM

With V1, which means you're stuck with Netgear firmware, this is a flaming pile of crap. The Netgear firmware is terrible, the range of the device is mediocre, and it only has a single radio, which means the "N" band is shared with B and G, and you aren't going to get the full potential N throughput.

With V2, you can install DDWRT, which means it will be stable (unlike V1) and the throughput will be good. However, the antenna is still mediocre, and you still only have a single radio.

In most installations, I'd recommend getting a refurbed WNDR3300 when they go on sale again for around $30. It has TWO radios (so one can be B/G and the other can be N, providing full bandwidth for the N stuff), and ALL WNDR3300s can be flashed to DDWRT. The internal antenna on the WNDR3300 is the same as on the WNR3500--so that's a push. The only downside of the WNDR3300 is that it has 10/100 ethernet instead of 10/100/1000 on the WNR3500. You can solve that by putting a gigabit switch after the router and running all your wired traffic through that.

rage2009 09-01-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tompic823 (Post 32159574)
UPS just delivered the router and I can confirm that I received V2, the version compatible with DD-WRT.

Edit: I installed DD-WRT on this thing. HUGE mistake. I can't stand the super unintuitive interface and want to reinstall the original Netgear Firmware. Unfortunately, the idiotic developers didn't include a downgrade function, and I can''t figure out how to downgrade. If anyone could offer any help at all, please do.

Edit 2: Was finally able to remove DD-WRT and reinstall the Netgear Firmware. The key to my issue was not using "root" as the username when connecting to the router through telnet.

Could you please post the instruction, how you were able to downgrade back to original netgear firmware.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

rage2009 09-01-2010 03:17 PM

I have installed ddwrt and i am using it in the university. now does anyone knows how to configure it? I have tried several setting and no go.

Piccirello 09-01-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rage2009 (Post 32228996)
Could you please post the instruction, how you were able to downgrade back to original netgear firmware.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I found the instructions at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index...._tftp_mode. The key is that, when you connect using telnet (not ssh), the username is root and the password is whatever password you set in the web interface. You can then run the command to erase linux/dd-wrt and eventually upload the Netgear firmware file with tftp.

Piccirello 09-01-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rage2009 (Post 32229192)
I have installed ddwrt and i am using it in the university. now does anyone knows how to configure it? I have tried several setting and no go.

The thing about DD-WRT is that it's for advanced users only. If you have questions about how to set it up it, you shouldn't be using it. I don't mean to sound harsh, but new users (including myself) constantly try DD-WRT without knowing what they're doing, and then ask others for help.

rage2009 09-01-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tompic823 (Post 32229198)
I found the instructions at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index...._tftp_mode. The key is that, when you connect using telnet (not ssh), the username is root and the password is whatever password you set in the web interface. You can then run the command to erase linux/dd-wrt and eventually upload the Netgear firmware file with tftp.

thanks for your help, I really appreciate it but i searched on the internet of hot to telnet your router and couldn't found anything. could you give me the instructions?
Thanks

Piccirello 09-01-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rage2009 (Post 32229588)
thanks for your help, I really appreciate it but i searched on the internet of hot to telnet your router and couldn't found anything. could you give me the instructions?
Thanks

You can obtain Putty, a free program for telnet, ssh, and more at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk...ham/putty/. Launch the program, click the telnet bubble, type in 192.168.1.1 as the IP, and then connect. The rest should be easy enough to figure out.

rage2009 09-01-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tompic823 (Post 32229678)
You can obtain Putty, a free program for telnet, ssh, and more at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk...ham/putty/. Launch the program, click the telnet bubble, type in 192.168.1.1 as the IP, and then connect. The rest should be easy enough to figure out.

Thanks to you I was able to remove dd-wrt and now the router's power light is blinking and i am able to get a ping response. now i have the netgear firmware ready how to i install it?
in instructions it says i need to tftp the firware file but the problem is i don't know what tftp means and google isn't helping.

i think this would be my last questions.

thank you sir for your help.

oldskoul 09-01-2010 03:56 PM

Sold out :(

Piccirello 09-01-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rage2009 (Post 32230100)
Thanks to you I was able to remove dd-wrt and now the router's power light is blinking and i am able to get a ping response. now i have the netgear firmware ready how to i install it?
in instructions it says i need to tftp the firware file but the problem is i don't know what tftp means and google isn't helping.

i think this would be my last questions.

thank you sir for your help.

The easiest way is to download this tftp program: http://www.tftp-server.com/tftp-download.html. Once you have that, use the IP 192.168.1.1 and select the Netgear firmware as the file.

ljviss 09-01-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 32203117)
With V1, which means you're stuck with Netgear firmware, this is a flaming pile of crap. The Netgear firmware is terrible, the range of the device is mediocre, and it only has a single radio, which means the "N" band is shared with B and G, and you aren't going to get the full potential N throughput.

With V2, you can install DDWRT, which means it will be stable (unlike V1) and the throughput will be good. However, the antenna is still mediocre, and you still only have a single radio.

How can I tell if I have V1? I do not see any markings to indicate on the outside of the router.

Piccirello 09-01-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljviss (Post 32232288)
How can I tell if I have V1? I do not see any markings to indicate on the outside of the router.

On the back of the router it either says WNR3500 or WNR3500 v2.

msirwilson 09-01-2010 05:55 PM

Does anyone know if you get closer to 300mbps with the stock firmware? I flashed dd wrt before getting a stock firmware baseline and I only get 160 or so with dd-wrt in 40mhz mode.

96corvette 09-01-2010 06:03 PM

I rec v2 happy with the stock FW so far, DD-WRT is not proven yet for this router model, I would stay away from it IMHO

rage2009 09-01-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tompic823 (Post 32230326)
The easiest way is to download this tftp program: http://www.tftp-server.com/tftp-download.html. Once you have that, use the IP 192.168.1.1 and select the Netgear firmware as the file.

Thank you for all your help, I was able to download recovery tool from netgear website and it successfully reinstalled the original firmware. The problem i found that my internet was not working was not with dd-wrt configuration or original firmware configuration but the university internet. in order to use university internet i must register the mac address for every single device i intended to use. i had to register mac address for the internet ports on the router to get it to work. Finally my internet is working.

Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.

Piccirello 09-01-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rage2009 (Post 32235612)
Thank you for all your help, I was able to download recovery tool from netgear website and it successfully reinstalled the original firmware. The problem i found that my internet was not working was not with dd-wrt configuration or original firmware configuration but the university internet. in order to use university internet i must register the mac address for every single device i intended to use. i had to register mac address for the internet ports on the router to get it to work. Finally my internet is working.

Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.

You are a genius. I could kiss you right now! I was having the same issue as you and didn't think of setting the MAC address to the same one that my old router was using. Doing so allowed my WNR3500 to connect. I'm glad we were able to help each other. :D

floofyotter 09-02-2010 12:13 PM

Mine just arrived today. I got v1.