Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://archive.slickdeals.net/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://archive.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Canon PIXMA All In One MX860 Recertified @ Newegg $55 (http://archive.slickdeals.net/f/2202534-canon-pixma-all-in-one-mx860-recertified-newegg-55)

FellaTee 08-27-2010 03:40 AM

Canon PIXMA All In One MX860 Recertified @ Newegg $55

use code EMCYWNV59

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102435&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082710&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082710-_-EMC-082710-Index-_-PrinterInkjetPrinters-_-28102435-L0G

jmullaby 08-27-2010 05:35 AM

Seems like a decent unit, anybody own this one? Opinions. Will rep

Shifty 08-27-2010 06:16 AM

I purchased this new from Staples a couple months ago, and this printer just plain rocks! Keep in mind my previous printer was purchased in 2006, so some of the features that excite me may not be all that impressive to others.

One of my favorite features is the auto-feeder for the scanner. I scan a lot of documents, so this definitely comes in handy. Another cool and unadvertised feature is the ability to mount the card slot as a network drive. I had a 16GB class 10 SD card from a previous slickdeal that I keep hidden away in the SD slot of the printer. Since I don't have a NAS device, this printer is my primary backup device for my music and pictures. Granted, it is probably slower than a hard disk based drive, it's nonetheless an out of sight backup medium.

The only thing so far I don't like about this printer is the fact that it seems to chew through the standard dye based black ink. Though the well is twice the size of the others, I'm already at half capacity with seemingly minimal printing on standard settings. On a positive note however, the other 4 tanks are still registering completely full, though a majority of my print jobs are more or less monochromatic.

Given the option, I'd definitely purchase this printer again. I'm a self-proclaimed technology nerd, and this thing is just plain cool. It's a wireless AIO printer with all the bells and whistles, what's not to love?

Jughead 08-27-2010 07:00 AM

It is a great printer. I bought 4 from Staples when it was on sale a few months back. I use one at home as my personal printer and have it via ethernet on my network and works perfect.

SirVeyer 08-27-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmullaby (Post 32092230)
Seems like a decent unit, anybody own this one? Opinions. Will rep

Don't own one "yet" but recommend checking out feedback on Amazon. 4-stars from 474 reviews. Also check out previous deals on this printer posted on Slick Deals. Ability to get reasonably priced ink and wireless sold me on it, not to mention the long list of features. Wanted one when it was posted here on 8/14 that Staples B&M has the "new" condition on clearance for $80, possibly $55 with $25 of $75 coupon. Unfortunately, the closest Staples to me is about 100+ miles or 2.5 hours away. So I'm now in for a recertified one from Newegg instead spending on gas and time to drive to Staples. Hoping recertified is as good as new. It's also $25 less than I would have spent at Staples to boot.

dmmod 08-28-2010 02:06 AM

I'M USING brother refurb 8660dn. How's this Canon compare to the Brother?

wwjrd 08-28-2010 02:54 AM

Thank you.

smokinyoda 08-28-2010 10:08 AM

Anyone know if this comes with trial or full size ink carts?

nygfan 08-28-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinyoda (Post 32121778)
Anyone know if this comes with trial or full size ink carts?

The MX860 that I bought during the Staples clearance sales almost two weeks ago had full size ink carts so I would assume this would as well but you never know. Regardless third party ink cartridges can be bought for a low price off of eBay or Meritline.

courtjester 08-28-2010 08:18 PM

Nice deal! I was looking for a Cannon AIO printer, thanks.

neohemp 08-28-2010 08:24 PM

I owned the non wireless version until I messed up the chip in it (was my own fault) and it was the best printer I ever owned. Just replaced it or I would jump on this

iflabs 08-28-2010 08:26 PM

Biggest annoyance with the printer is the long start up times to print. I gouge my eyes out every single time I have to wait nearly a minute for the damn thing to warm up.

pokymon 08-28-2010 09:06 PM

Warranty is only 90 days compared to Staples New clearance printer for 1 year. Will this be a problem?

jgalt 08-28-2010 09:34 PM

I have used this printer for a year. I paid around $160. It has a good set of features I needed -- document feeder, duplex scanning, duplex printing, wireless and wired network interfaces, and good print quality (including pictures). Cons include a very obtuse and difficult network setup (especially WLAN), use of color ink even when printing b&w only(cleaning nozzles?), and limited capacity paper trays.

I like it well enough that I'd probably get a spare, except I am presently mad at Newegg after ordering two of an item, receiving only one, calling, being told I would get the other in 2 to 3 days, and waiting still 10 days later. :mad: Time to call again Monday.

Oh, the 5 ink cartridges have a chip to prevent re-filling. To save money, buy your own ink and either refillable replacement cartridges with self-reseting chips on the internet or a chip reset device (requires minor surgery to your old cartridge to make a pluggable refill hole). Try google for options and instructions.

birdwax 08-29-2010 12:50 AM

Can anyone comment on the scan quality? I'd be especially interested in hearing from those who've also used entry level scanners (like the Canons that cost $50-75 on amazon).

Slee_Stack 08-29-2010 06:09 AM

Its a decent printer. I'd say average photo quality. I don't use it for documents. I do use the scanner and ADF once in awhile. Works good. The interface software isn't that impressive. Actually I hate it. I bought it new 6 months ago for $50 + an old printer trade in at Staples.

Guyman 08-29-2010 06:20 AM

why dont you just buy it BRAND NEW at staples? Its in store only and on clearance. Bring a $25 off $75 coupon and you get it including tax for under $60

namx 08-29-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyman (Post 32136020)
why dont you just buy it BRAND NEW at staples? Its in store only and on clearance. Bring a $25 off $75 coupon and you get it including tax for under $60

You assume every Staples has it in stock as a clearance item. 2 weeks ago, I saw a whole stack at my Staples. Now, they're all gone.

Guyman 08-29-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namx (Post 32140704)
You assume every Staples has it in stock as a clearance item. 2 weeks ago, I saw a whole stack at my Staples. Now, they're all gone.

No. Just a friendly remixer that there might be some available at staples and that they are new. My store still has 3.

pokymon 08-29-2010 01:37 PM

Yeah... I bought $25/$75 coupon from junkie site and Manager took the coupon to his office and came back saying "fraudulent" coupon. He said coupon has been modified from Online to In-Store purchase. I don't want to go to jail for illegal use of coupon. Of course, junkie seller refunded my money and he also said it's not modified. Bottom line is coupon use is "dangerous" in the store.