Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://archive.slickdeals.net/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://archive.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Red Cliff Parts I/II International Version Blu Ray $16 Amazon.com (http://archive.slickdeals.net/f/2542109-red-cliff-parts-i-ii-international-version-blu-ray-16-amazon-com)

trustrsx 01-04-2011 06:08 AM

Red Cliff Parts I/II International Version Blu Ray $16 Amazon.com

Red Cliff Parts I/II [amazon.com]

Note: The only audio available is Mandarin: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
There is no English dub, only subtitles.

wikipost 01-04-2011 06:08 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

There have been several releases of this movie and this is considered one of the better versions from Magnolia.

This International version is uncut and unabridged. There is a single disc theatrical version that combines both parts into 1 movie and bypasses a lot of scenes.

In terms of releases:

-The UK import is very good, but has hard coded subtitles. It has missing scenes as well.
-The HK import is probably the best, but expensive.

Review at Blu-ray.com [blu-ray.com]

Gohan2000 01-04-2011 06:16 AM

great movie!

pitnlala 01-04-2011 06:27 AM

I got this from netflix a couple months ago and loved. Deffinitely has a high rewatchability factor. But can anyone tell me how I would know if I have seen both parts...without giving away plot? The one I watched was an easy 2+ hours.

TIA and I'm in for one.

ranova 01-04-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitnlala (Post 36014249)
I got this from netflix a couple months ago and loved. Deffinitely has a high rewatchability factor. But can anyone tell me how I would know if I have seen both parts...without giving away plot? The one I watched was an easy 2+ hours.

TIA and I'm in for one.

both parts is 288 min, almost 5 hours. If the war wasnt ended by the end of what you watched, you only watched the first part

pitnlala 01-04-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranova (Post 36014291)
both parts is 288 min, almost 5 hours. If the war wasnt ended by the end of what you watched, you only watched the first part

Awesome...now I'm really excited. This movie was amazing. Can't imagine how much better it could be with part 2. Reps!

sacterre 01-04-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitnlala (Post 36014249)

TIA and I'm in for one.

There was a plot? That movie was fun and beautiful, but incredibly predictable. The plot was the usual crap from the Ministry of Culture.

dledtm 01-04-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacterre (Post 36015283)
There was a plot? That movie was fun and beautiful, but incredibly predictable. The plot was the usual crap from the Ministry of Culture.

if you had read romance of the three kingdom's, it was pulled directly from the source material with a few minor differences..this story is old old old...so of course i was predictable. It was much better than other films made in china and it had mild to little chinese propanganda unlike other films which were pretty blatant.

stingraysix 01-04-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitnlala (Post 36014395)
Awesome...now I'm really excited. This movie was amazing. Can't imagine how much better it could be with part 2. Reps!

You'll be amazed. Part 2 is much more exciting.

Just to clarify, these are two separate feature films. It was intended to be shown in two parts, like Kill Bills. It was not a long movie cut in half.

pitnlala 01-04-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Umm...so was the plot to Gettysburgh, and Apollo 13.

Maybe "plot" was thew wrong word. How about "storyline". I found some of the characters compelling and many of the actions taken during the fight scenes were things I had never before seen in any movie. I absolutelty loved it.

jslee21 01-04-2011 09:26 AM

Great movie with a lot of it based on Chinese history -- movie depicts one of the greatest battles in Chinese history.

Thank you!

sacterre 01-04-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitnlala (Post 36017927)
Umm...so was the plot to Gettysburgh, and Apollo 13.

Maybe "plot" was thew wrong word. How about "storyline". I found some of the characters compelling and many of the actions taken during the fight scenes were things I had never before seen in any movie. I absolutelty loved it.

Apparently I didn't know it was based on Romance... my apologies. In my defense, most Chinese propaganda films today seem to use similar themes (unite, we are all one, don't be an individual), I get a little tired of it all. Beautiful cinematography aside, Red Cliff's slow scenes were incredibly melodramatic and the action choreographed ala "Disney on Ice." I am a big John Woo fan from the 1990's, but this movie just showed how far he's drifted from his Hong Kong roots.

jacks81x 01-04-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks Captain Obvious. Every movie based on historical events is predictable since you already know what's going to happen. :lmao:

sacterre 01-04-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacks81x (Post 36019521)
Thanks Captain Obvious. Every movie based on historical events is predictable since you already know what's going to happen. :lmao:

Then why ask about spoilers?

pitnlala 01-04-2011 09:34 AM

Hmmm...I had a completely different take. This was easily one of the 5 best "war" films I have ever seen. Perhaps a top 3 even. I found the battle scenes to be smart and different than expected. Maybe I need to reserve all my praise till I see part II, but I was very happy with part I.

sacterre 01-04-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitnlala (Post 36019603)
Hmmm...I had a completely different take. This was easily one of the 5 best "war" films I have ever seen. Perhaps a top 3 even. I found the battle scenes to be smart and different than expected. Maybe I need to reserve all my praise till I see part II, but I was very happy with part I.

Have you seen Heaven & Earth (1990)?

pitnlala 01-04-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacterre (Post 36019539)
Then why ask about spoilers?

Because even within movies based on historical events there is plenty of room for poetic liscense and story-telling, ala Saving Private Ryan for instance. I just didnt want to ruin a character development or something like that for anyone if they hadnt seen it, or for me if I hadn't seen it all (and it turns out I havent). No biggie really. Cant we all just get along? :woot:

WaltW 01-04-2011 09:40 AM

The BR disks I have have DTS-HD sound which is an added bonus if you can decode it. The Amazon description does not mention it.

pitnlala 01-04-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacterre (Post 36019751)
Have you seen Heaven & Earth (1990)?

I have not but as we speak I am looking to add it to my Netflix que :)

pullmyfinger 01-04-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Yea I'm sorry they didn't change history to your liking

cluedweasel 01-04-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pullmyfinger (Post 36019875)

Yep. He should go and watch U-571 instead.

Icedburden 01-04-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluedweasel (Post 36019917)

That movie shattered my windows....

sacterre 01-04-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluedweasel (Post 36019917)

Or, a decent sub movie like Das Boot. Seriously this movie was about the worst thing Woo has come out with since MI2, and that's saying a lot.

persian_mafia 01-04-2011 10:04 AM

Good movie, I like part 1 better though

Ignatz 01-04-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacterre (Post 36019431)
I am a big John Woo fan from the 1990's, but this movie just showed how far he's drifted from his Hong Kong roots.

Yeah, how we all miss the glory days of "Broken Arrow" and "Face/Off"...

XtraCrispi 01-04-2011 10:51 AM

Knew nothing of the movie till I saw your post. Check out the trailer on YouTube and it looks pretty epic and possibly awesome. In for one. Will make for some nice in home theater time when the snows really come. Got this and Superman II - The Richard Donner cut together. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisboyshouts (Post 36021719)

:lmao:

Ihavenolife 01-04-2011 10:54 AM

This will be a great addition to my BR collection. Thanks!

usercar007 01-04-2011 11:00 AM

hm.. wonder if there really is a difference between the bluray and dvd version.. anyone know?

Chrs 01-04-2011 11:01 AM

is this the one with Chris Tucker?

vodreaux 01-04-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usercar007 (Post 36022623)
hm.. wonder if there really is a difference between the bluray and dvd version.. anyone know?

Blu-Ray Review [blu-ray.com]

outpartying1 01-04-2011 11:13 AM

Awesome movie, especially if you're familiar with the story at all. I just brought this movie a week ago on Amazon when it was $18.99. Just sucks that Amazon doesn't do price adjustments...

TakeMeOrLeaveMe 01-04-2011 11:32 AM

I have the "special edition" version, whatever that is. About 2 hours, 20 minutes per each disc in a 2-disc set. The main compliant about the version I've got (which I haven't view yet), was that the subtitles are smaller than what's typical.

Got mine from a previous SD several months ago for about 6.88 british pounds, before shipping.

glass_tiki 01-04-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrs (Post 36022709)
is this the one with Chris Tucker?

LOL Rep'd!

MrPobears 01-04-2011 05:24 PM

I heard a lot of good things about this movie, but wasn't there a US version that was only 1 disc?

sacterre 01-04-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisboyshouts (Post 36021719)

Or you know.. Hard Boiled and The Killer. If you prefer one of the top Hong Kong action directors make cheesy propaganda flicks, I'm sure you'll love crap like Warlords or Fearless. They're available on BR as well... Face/Off was better than the pile of crap Led Criff was.

TakeMeOrLeaveMe 01-04-2011 09:51 PM

Not really sure yet but I'm getting the sense that you didn't much care for this film. Perhaps it'll become more clear once you've posted a few more times.

TIA.

Slickdeezee 01-04-2011 09:57 PM

I wasn't familiar with the story at except in passing since I played the Dynasty Warriors video games. Is it just me or did that game influence the movie battle scenes?

Ignatz 01-05-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacterre (Post 36041051)
Or you know.. Hard Boiled and The Killer. If you prefer one of the top Hong Kong action directors make cheesy propaganda flicks, I'm sure you'll love crap like Warlords or Fearless. They're available on BR as well... Face/Off was better than the pile of crap Led Criff was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeMeOrLeaveMe (Post 36043217)
Not really sure yet but I'm getting the sense that you didn't much care for this film. Perhaps it'll become more clear once you've posted a few more times.

TIA.

Please don't encourage him... Apparently he thinks his opinion is fact - either that or he's Armond White.

sacterre 01-05-2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisboyshouts (Post 36045801)
Please don't encourage him... Apparently he thinks his opinion is fact - either that or he's Armond White.

You realize this is exactly the kind of stuff White loves? I didn't mind this movie and would recommend getting the BR just on the cinematography and scale of the production alone (repped this deal when I saw it). However, as opposed to epics like Mongol or Heaven & Earth (90), it doesn't hold a candle. Just my opinion but you probably own Transformers, so...

Ignatz 01-05-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacterre (Post 36047755)
You realize this is exactly the kind of stuff White loves? I didn't mind this movie and would recommend getting the BR just on the cinematography and scale of the production alone (repped this deal when I saw it). However, as opposed to epics like Mongol or Heaven & Earth (90), it doesn't hold a candle. Just my opinion but you probably own Transformers, so...

Well played - you are the king! All the spoils of war are yours sacterre! Everybody join in with me: Long live the king! Long live the king! Long live the king!

LocoDude 01-05-2011 09:13 PM

Great movie, I've got part 1 on DVD. Will surely be adding this to my BR collection...

kharvel 01-05-2011 09:39 PM

OK, someone please explain the Parts 1 and 2 to me.

I have seen Red Cliff on DVD - the original Chinese/HK version with no cut scenes like the US version. It spanned 2 or possibly 3 DVD discs if I remember correctly. Is everybody saying that this 2-3 disc set is just the Part 1? This is the movie that ended in the naval battle with ships set on fire, etc.

So Part 2 would be an entirely different movie also spanning 2-3 DVD discs? Is this understanding correct?

bassmanben 01-05-2011 09:42 PM

This is the movie with the guy my wife and I have dubbed, the Chinese Orlando Bloom

wgprp 01-06-2011 01:54 AM

Got from amazon for 26 a couple months back. Tu, highly recommended if you like war or Asian cinema

zoglog 01-06-2011 02:11 AM

this movie made me want to commit suicide for how horrible it was......

How chinese cinema has fallen. If you want to watch something decent, try Ip Man

sirixxx 01-06-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoglog (Post 36080855)
this movie made me want to commit suicide for how horrible it was......

How chinese cinema has fallen. If you want to watch something decent, try Ip Man

Interesting. I've seen both and can easily say Red Cliff is better than Ip Man (not saying Ip Man was bad).

hariseldon 01-06-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kharvel (Post 36077783)
OK, someone please explain the Parts 1 and 2 to me.

I have seen Red Cliff on DVD - the original Chinese/HK version with no cut scenes like the US version. It spanned 2 or possibly 3 DVD discs if I remember correctly. Is everybody saying that this 2-3 disc set is just the Part 1? This is the movie that ended in the naval battle with ships set on fire, etc.

So Part 2 would be an entirely different movie also spanning 2-3 DVD discs? Is this understanding correct?

I think you are misunderstanding.

This Part 1/Part 2 is a 2 disc Bluray with the complete 290 minutes (more or less) and should be the entire Red Cliff movie and as far as I know this should be identical to the entire original Chinese 2 part release of Red Cliff.

Red Cliff I (originally 148-150 minutes released in 2008) with Chinese Title "Chi bi" (ends with the miniature ships being set on fire)
Red Cliff II (142 minutes released in 2009) with Chinese title "Chi bi xia: Jue zhan tian xia"

The original US Theatrical release (and DVD) of Red Cliff was only a single movie and was a 140 minutes edited from the whole 4hr+ of both movies.

The UK special edition is 290+ minutes and should be identical to this posting except for about 20 seconds of material edited out of "Animal Cruelty" to meet British movie standards (basically stunt horses falling during the battle scenes).

rockstar1009 01-12-2011 07:39 PM

I was just about to post this deal, but I see someone beat me to it, and by a week no less. I got some rips off the Bay, and there's no way I can live without this in my collection. In for a set, for sure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacterre (Post 36019431)
Apparently I didn't know it was based on Romance... my apologies. In my defense, most Chinese propaganda films today seem to use similar themes (unite, we are all one, don't be an individual), I get a little tired of it all.

This is nothing new. I'm a huge fan of classic kung fu movies, and some of the Communist propaganda is incredibly blatant. One of the most glaring examples is an old Jackie Chan movie (Shaolin Wooden Men, or New Fist of Fury perhaps? it's been a while and I can't remember the movie well) where Jackie grabs individual chopsticks, which he breaks easily, then grabs an entire bundle and challenges his colleagues to break the entire bundle at once, and insists upon this metaphor that if they stand united they can overcome the Japanese occupation force terrorizing their village. Though it is an apt and relevant metaphor for the context, it's quite obviously propaganda (and worse, it's injecting the philosophy in an anachonistic fasion, in the days before the Cultural Revolution occured).

Quote:

Originally Posted by pullmyfinger (Post 36019875)

Aww . . . cut him some slack - most history is loosely based on truth, anyhow, and tends to favour whomever is relaying the account: the numbers of Persians at Thermopylae vary greatly between the Grecian and Persian historian accounts, Cleopatra was depicted on Ptolymaic coins as plain and average, but the Romans painted her as insanely beautiful and as such was only able to achieve power through seducing the helplessly enchanted Caesar and Antony with her looks alone, because Romans hated women and didn't believe a woman would be intelligent or strategic enough to forge a political or military alliance through seduction and subsequent heir-bearing. Atilla was seen as a sort of Anti-Christ figure by Romans and Europeans, but the Turks and Hungarians greatly revered him, so much so that Atilla is still a common name in these lands. Et cetera. As the saying goes - history is written by the victors.

But your point is still valid - based on the literary source material, there's only so much wiggle room available for poetic license and historical revisioning here (I don't know how much disparate material is available to draw from during this era - Romance of the Three Kingoms is as definitive as one can get). See Ridley Scott's epics if you're into history based very very loosely on facts. A film set during the Warring States period, however, could be highly controversial and debateable on accuracy given the number of factions, agendas, and differing takes on events.

That being said, I hope Woo does another epic like this . . . one chronicaling the rise and ultimate victory of the Qin would be a great subject. :nod: