Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://archive.slickdeals.net/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://archive.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Harry and David FREE shipping (NO minimum), 2 boxes Maverick Royal Riviera Pears $29.92 (+tax) shipped. (http://archive.slickdeals.net/f/2610407-harry-and-david-free-shipping-no-minimum-2-boxes-maverick-royal-riviera-pears-29-92-tax-shipped)

yangzi 01-26-2011 08:03 AM

Harry and David FREE shipping (NO minimum), 2 boxes Maverick Royal Riviera Pears $29.92 (+tax) shipped.

Harry and David FREE shipping code:

MOMENTS

NO minimum purchase for FREE shipping.

http://www.harryanddavid.com

Two boxes of Maverick Royal Riviera Pears (10 pounds total) will be $29.92 (+ tax) shipped.
Item No. 24528E

*Standard Delivery & Processing charges will not apply when you purchase either online at harryanddavid.com or by calling 800-547-3033, and enter or mention coupon code MOMENTS. Discount will appear on payment screen when ordering online. Offer does not apply to express delivery charges or additional charges (including, without limitation, additional charges for deliveries to Alaska, Hawaii or international destinations). Offer may not be combined with any other promotional discount or offer. Offer cannot be used on previous purchases or for the purchase of wine products. Void where prohibited by law. Not valid if copied, purchased, sold or bartered. No cash value. Offer valid through 3/7/2011.

wikipost 01-26-2011 08:03 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Use code "TRL MOMENTS" - you'll get free shipping and a bonus 10% off, making the order $27.20 shipped (to Illinois anyway :)

DavesWife 01-26-2011 08:09 AM

Has anyone ever tried these? I see them all time, but I'm not sure what the magic is about their pears.

Magnumix 01-26-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavesWife (Post 36719025)
Has anyone ever tried these? I see them all time, but I'm not sure what the magic is about their pears.

Nothing, it's just "branded" differently. It's supposed to be "organic" etc. etc.

yangzi 01-26-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

There are bunch of people who like these pears. I heard they are very juicy and very delicious. Now is the time for me to try them out!:drool:

IAccord99I 01-26-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnumix (Post 36719079)
Nothing, it's just "branded" differently. It's supposed to be "organic" etc. etc.

These aren't organic... just FYI. I got them to try it out the last time someone posted. It was 26.xx shipped and wasn't really worth it imo. They all ripened at basically the same time so we were eating 4 or 5 of these a day to avoid throwing them out. They were definitely delicious but not worth the premium for me.

jessinks 01-26-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

I've sent them to my parents a couple of times and they love them. They say they are much better than what you get at the store.

krazymop 01-26-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Honestly, you just need to try them. I've never had a pear bought in a store that compares. And that includes stores like Whole Foods and Wegmans.

thenurse 01-26-2011 09:09 AM

Thanks OP and repped. I wait for this sale every year in Jan. The Maverick Royal Riviera Pears are the ones that didn't make the "photogenic" category when they were picked. They are delicious. NO difference in taste from the "Royal Riviera".
This sale makes them roughly $1.67 each because H&D usually ship 18 pears on this sale. Good time to try them if you haven't already.

yangzi 01-26-2011 09:45 AM

My apple orchard told me to store apples in a refrigerator after wrapping them with dump paper towel. Probably pears will last longer if you keep them in a refrigerator, too.

kpd1975 01-26-2011 10:11 AM

They are good

I got in the last time, just so I could know if they are that good.

They were good. I don't have a whole foods or any other high end. Just a shop rite. And the pears are always hard and not juicy. They don't get ripe, they just get rotten.

So I tried these. Super juicy! They did all ripen at the same time, but I stuck them back in the fridge. Leave them out for a little before you eat them and they are great.

$2.99/pound is waaaayyyy more they i ever spend on fruit, but these are good. And at least you know you are spending it on fruit that will taste good.

beckstar 01-26-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yangzi (Post 36722255)
My apple orchard told me to store apples in a refrigerator after wrapping them with dump paper towel. Probably pears will last longer if you keep them in a refrigerator, too.

As in POO? Sorry, couldn't resist :P

m_ajmera 01-26-2011 10:12 AM

I bought them for the first time 2 weeks ago and am ready to get another set now. They are simply the best pears I have eaten.

thehip 01-26-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckstar (Post 36723335)
As in POO? Sorry, couldn't resist :P

Poo is natures preservative.

MillaTyme 01-26-2011 10:16 AM

Maverick? What no Goose or Iceman?

yangzi 01-26-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_ajmera (Post 36723349)
I bought them for the first time 2 weeks ago and am ready to get another set now. They are simply the best pears I have eaten.

That's a good news!

Fibrocyte 01-26-2011 10:36 AM

I love their pears - they are well worth the premium IMO. However, I got in on the last deal similar to this and it was just too many pears for our family. In addition, one of the pears was rotten when it arrived.

IMO - order this only if you plan to bake with the pears or give a box away.

EDIT: Also, I really don't mind the rotten pear. It's the first lemon (HAH!) I've received from Harry & David. My only thought was if some of the gifts I had shipped from H&D to friends and family were also imperfect. Oh well.

thehip 01-26-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickrp (Post 36724319)
<clipped text>...In addition, one of the pears was rotten when it arrived.

that was their special gift to you.

Fibrocyte 01-26-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehip (Post 36724411)
that was their special gift to you.

Why I oughta...

Ayrdaomei 01-26-2011 10:48 AM

I bought a couple pounds of these earlier this month just to try them out, having heard all the hype. While they did take a few days to ripen they were quite good once they did -- very juicy for sure. My girlfriend ate one before it ripened actually, and remarked that it was the best unripe pear she'd ever had ;)

That being said, they were a little too pricey for me, especially since I am not a pear fanatic. I ended up sharing them with my parents since there were so many and I was worried they'd go bad. I personally would not get so many again, but if you like pears, I definitely recommend trying them.

decarillion 01-26-2011 10:50 AM

These are like sugar when they are ripe. Really good pears, unlike what you can get in your local grocery store or WM.

If you're lucky enough to live near a gourmet market, you MIGHT get pears this good. But, for the rest of us, we will pay a bit more to H&D rather than WM for these babies!

H&D CSRs are very good about replacing bad products, as well.

mama23boys 01-26-2011 10:56 AM

Not sure if this is a one time code, But TRL takes 10% off total in addition to free ship.

Total for me was $26.93 shipped to CA

TRL 10% OFF

AGQQD1 01-26-2011 10:59 AM

These pears are wonderful! Super juicy and smooth texture...can literally eat them with a spoon. We've had four orders already this month. One order came frozen (sat in delivery warehouse over weekend) and H&D promptly replaced them with the Royal Rivieras, instead of the Mavericks. Only difference in the boxes were the RR had a few pears wrapped in paper, otherwise, exact same product in my opinion. Sometimes the mavericks show small imperfections, but they still taste heavenly. If you're hesitant, give them a try - H&D has the best guarantee in the business (and I can vouch for that with experienced!)

Examiner44 01-26-2011 10:59 AM

These pears are pretty good... but definitely not worth the premium they charge for them. These are WAY overpriced.

ISOLDE 01-26-2011 11:26 AM

I thumbs downed this by accident. Home sick and brain not working... sorry

It is a great deal and getting two boxes again for daughter in LA and roomies.

Here is the thing. The company is GREAT about resending pears if they come too ripe or damaged. Great customer service, I think.

At the unsale price just way too expensive to send her so I wait for these deals.

Free shipping, nice.

AtomicLush 01-26-2011 11:33 AM

I purchased a set of the Maverick pears this year because there doesn't seem to be a good sale on the regular ones like in years past (we buy them every year). The Maverick ones are NOT as sweet and are more grainy in texture than the regular ones. I was not happy that I was paying $3/pound with the discount for pears that taste like normal pears at the grocery store for $1/pound. The Mavericks are seconds, not only in appearance, but in taste too.

amksave 01-26-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama23boys (Post 36725069)
Not sure if this is a one time code, But TRL takes 10% off total in addition to free ship.

TRL 10% OFF

TRL 10% Also works with the free shipping code.

thehip 01-26-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama23boys (Post 36725069)

Doesn't CA have a pear recycling fee yet?

geonjay 01-26-2011 11:38 AM

REP'd and ordered. Thanks!

LivninSC 01-26-2011 11:38 AM

Picked these up when they were like $20 for the 2 boxes and at that price I don't know why you'd buy store bought pears. These things are juicy and creamy. At the normal price for the non-blemished pears it is a bit ridiculous but for these it's a pretty good price. There is a ton of meat on the fruit, unlike a lot of pears, and they are seriously the best pears I have ever had. Far better than those ones that Costco sold at Christmas time.

We refrigerated one box and ate the other one. I'd suggest doing that otherwise they all come ripe at the same time and once ripe they do go south pretty quickly. With keeping one in the fridge we just finished one box and the other is still not ripe so just take a couple out a day to make'em last!

Bspencerco 01-26-2011 11:44 AM

The last mavericks I ordered from them were worse than grocery store pears.

trader14 01-26-2011 11:44 AM

we went through 2 boxes in a few days about a couple weeks ago and are waiting for our newest box to ripen which will be in a few days. the pears are super great when allowed to ripen because when received they are hard (ie not ripe). I made 2 order of 10 lb's back when the deal was $22 less your favorite cashback site. I have no need for more but think at $25 including cashback it is still a good dea.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=93702&t=2574775

Jason69850 01-26-2011 11:55 AM

I am really suprised at everyone complaining that these are pricey. At 26.90 shipped, they are $2.69 a lb. At my local grocery store, pears are 2.99 a lb.
These are much better tasting and delivered to your door. I don't think they are that expensive at all and I'm pretty cheap!

littleathlete 01-26-2011 12:04 PM

The pepper and onion relish is to die for, and the free shipping is great since the jars are real heavy.

adamant 01-26-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAccord99I (Post 36719973)
These aren't organic... just FYI. I got them to try it out the last time someone posted. It was 26.xx shipped and wasn't really worth it imo. They all ripened at basically the same time so we were eating 4 or 5 of these a day to avoid throwing them out. They were definitely delicious but not worth the premium for me.

I just finished the two boxes from the last time this deal came up. I think that they are delicious, but you need to make sure they ripen properly.

I put the pears from one box in a paper bag for about 3-4 days, then put those in the fridge. Then I put the other box of pears in the paper bag. Nothing spoiled while my girlfriend and I enjoyed 1 ever day or so. I had eaten a couple before they were ripe to check, but now I know what they mean to check for ripeness. Push lightly near the stem, the skin should dimple and not pop back.

I prefer to eat them at room temp as they harden slightly when cold.

wheresmycape 01-26-2011 12:40 PM

has anyone tried any of their dessert mixes?

peanutty 01-26-2011 12:44 PM

i hate to gloat about any past deals i got in on, but there was a $23 deal posted here not too long ago. :cool: i bought 2 of these, for a total of 4 boxes...

all the boxes were for me :yummy: currently keeping 3 boxes in the fridge, and left one out to ripen. i look forward to eating 2-3 pears a day!

they really are THE BEST pears in the world.

AtomicLush 01-26-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bspencerco (Post 36727027)

Agreed.

IAccord99I 01-26-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamant (Post 36728699)
I just finished the two boxes from the last time this deal came up. I think that they are delicious, but you need to make sure they ripen properly.

I put the pears from one box in a paper bag for about 3-4 days, then put those in the fridge. Then I put the other box of pears in the paper bag. Nothing spoiled while my girlfriend and I enjoyed 1 ever day or so. I had eaten a couple before they were ripe to check, but now I know what they mean to check for ripeness. Push lightly near the stem, the skin should dimple and not pop back.

I prefer to eat them at room temp as they harden slightly when cold.

Yup. I did make sure they were ripe. I followed the directions that come with these word by word. Only reason they're not worth the premium to me is because I have a local market that stocks these (and pretty good quality ones too) at $1/lb. Of course they don't consistently carry pears of H&D quality, but they are still very good and on occasions, they do get a shipment of pears that are just as good as these.

Hippie2MARS 01-26-2011 01:08 PM

I got in on the last deal and the pears were divine! This is the second year I've gotten these (thanks to Slick Deals) and I have not been disappointed!

crisaquarius24 01-26-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Royal Riviera's are awesome, eat them literally like ice cream with a spoon so soft and luscious
though I remember these usually end up being a better deal in feb, end of season, i think.

SDMommyof5 01-26-2011 01:26 PM

Our 2nd year ordering....thanks to SD

Last year we tried these pears for the first time, OMG! My kids went crazy 4 boxes later....
So this year when I saw this deal posted I of course had to order more. Just finishing up the last of of our 2nd box, got 2 more arriving anyday! ;-) Let these get ripe (we put them in a the fridge then them out sit out for a little bit & eat with a spoon.) These are so soft and ripe you can even feed these to babies who eat babyfood) We love H&D pears. Customer service is great too, If you have any problems they'll ship out another case of pears :-)

balrog26 01-26-2011 03:25 PM

No tax in CA, which is key for me.
With TRL MOMENTS, it was 26.93.
Also 8 pts/$ on Chase Ultimate Rewards!

mustsav3 01-26-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickrp (Post 36724739)
Why I oughta...

I bet if you contacted H&D, they'd do something to make up for the rotten one. just an idea.

evelynmp 01-26-2011 03:45 PM

thanks! ordered the pears and raspberry galettes (the best cookies ever!!)

AGQQD1 01-26-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bspencerco (Post 36727027)

Contact customer service for a replacement...if you give them a chance, they'll make it right.

sdbison 01-26-2011 05:55 PM

it is not worth it. I ordered two cases last time and I do not like the taste. Sometimes Walmart has better pears than this one.

Fibrocyte 01-26-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustsav3 (Post 36735101)
I bet if you contacted H&D, they'd do something to make up for the rotten one. just an idea.

I like them so much and they do right by me so much that I don't feel the need to contact them for a single pear. I was just letting others know my experience.